Updated: Mar 17, 2021
Unfortunately, it is still freezing outside for some of us. I live in NYC, and there is a huge snow storm outside right now. Even though it is spring, it doesn’t seem like it's going to warm up anytime soon. One of the worst things about winter is how difficult it is to take care of our skin. We not only have to fight the dry, cold, and sometimes snowy air, but also the hot and dry air from inside our homes, that we need to keep us warm. Even though we have these challenges, It is important to make sure our skin is healthy all year round.
I am so excited to share with you my favorite types of products to use for winter skin survival that I learned from years of researching Korean skincare techniques. Adopting Korean skincare advice into my everyday routine has saved my skin during these difficult months. Here are some products I suggest you use in the winter:
1. Sunscreen: Use it every day! The sun is just as bad in the winter as it is in the summer. So, do not leave your house without putting some on your face. Sun is one of the biggest causes of premature aging, so don't skip this no matter what season it is. An affordable option that I recommend is Innisfree Daily UV Protection Cream Mild.
2. Cleansers: Your skin is more sensitive in the winter time. When washing your face, it is best to avoid harsh cleansers that can further dry out your skin. You want to use gentle and hydrating cleansers instead. Right now, I prefer a cleansing oil that keeps your face moist after washing such as Nature Republic Forest Garden Chamomile Cleansing Oil.
3. Serums: Serums are a light moisturizer. The smaller molecules allow the beneficial ingredients to penetrate deeply into your skin. Where as moisturizers are very rich and serve as a good barrier that holds everything in. You apply serum after you cleanse but before you moisturize. The best serums have ingredients such as, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants, ceramides, and vitamin C and E. I love Corsx Hyaluronic Hydra Power Essence.
4. Moisturizer: Since you are always in the dry air, you will need to make sure you are moisturizing enough. Any product you select needs to be very hydrating. Products that are formulated with ingredients that bind in moisture and water; help to protect, repair, and maintain healthy skin. Belif makes a great moisturizer! See my previous blog post to read my review.
5. Eye Cream: The skin around your eyes is the most delicate. It is extra fragile during the winter. Make sure you use an eye cream in the morning and before you go to bed every day. Opt for creams that are very hydrating and full of beneficial ingredients. Belif Moisturizing and Firming Eye Cream, is amazing!
6. Face Mists: These are easy to carry with you at all times. They are amazing and convenient because they hydrate your skin without ruining your make up. Whenever you feel like your skin is getting dry, you just spray your face for an instant dewy look. They even make your make up look fresh again! Face mists are also available in travel sizes, and some are TSA approved. I love Kenzoki Fresh Lotus Water.
7. Exfoliators: This is so important during the winter as it gets rid of all that dead and dry skin so your skin can better absorb products. Just don’t overdo it and use a natural and gentle product. I currently love using Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off, once a week.
8. Sheet Masks: I use these several times a week during the winter. I usually use sheet masks before bed, but sometimes in the morning. Some of my favorites are by, Tony Moly, Innisfree, Dr. Morita, Mediheal, Nature Republic, and My Beauty Diary.
9. Oils: Face oils are excellent if your skin is feeling a bit dryer than usual. I sometimes use them in the morning if I have enough time. They are great to use if you are staying inside all day or before bed. Face oil is also great for locking in moisture, but it can mess with your make up. So, it's best to incorporate them into your routine when its best for you. I currently use a Jojoba Oil. These are easily available in many health stores.
10. Miscellaneous Tips: I find that I get the best results from my product regimen while I am taking care of myself in all areas of life. It is very important to drink enough water and to eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients. I also try to not over use hot water in the shower. I especially don’t let it touch my face. Hot water can really dry out your skin in the winter. I also recommend sleeping with a humidifier on. Since I’ve purchased one, my skin has been really hydrated in the morning. Also make sure you take care of your skin before bed. You can do this by washing your face with a gentle cleanser followed by a good nighttime cream, serum, moisturizer, mask, etc.
Thanks so much for reading my post, and I hope my skincare tips help you get through the rest of this winter weather. Please let me know if you tried them and have any recommendations. I always look forward to reading your messages!